Back to Home|
Our technical staff has extensive experience in failure analysis using modern characterization techniques applicable to metals and polymers. Each failure analysis project is treated on an individual basis, and the investigation typically includes the following techniques:
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) for failure mode and fracture surface analysis
- Stereomicroscopic evaluation
- Microstructural analysis
- Mechanical testing
Chemical analysis by ICP, XRF, XRD, EDS or FTIR as required
Actlabs Materials Testing has performed hundreds of failure analysis projects. Some typical projects include:
- Failure in welds and joints
- Failure in cold formed, hot formed or cast parts
- Failure in injection molding plastics
- Rolling contact fatigue in gears
- Fatigue of wires, casts, welds etc.
- Corrosion failure
- Microstructure related failure
- Hydrogen embrittlement
Submitting samples for failure analysis
For meaningful results of failure analysis the samples have to be handled properly before they are sent to us and while shipped. Please ensure that:
- The surface of the fracture is not touched directly
- The failed part is not heated. Be especially careful when cutting to avoid heating close to the fracture.
- Both sides of the fractured surface are sent
- Careful packaging is essential!